Today, you are going to find that my blog has a bit more serious tone to it than normal. While I love keeping it light hearted and fun I also think it is important to share issues that affect us in every day life. This particular issue has been on my mind lately as I have seen so many struggle with it, from celebrities to my close friends and even myself at times. While I share just a tiny spot in this big ol’ blog world, my hope is that this will reach just one person who needs some help in feeling good about themselves!!
Maybe you woke up this morning not feeling your best. You gave in at the office luncheon and had the pizza that you swore you wouldn’t eat. And you followed it up with a couple cookies. Since you were feeling sluggish from the food you skipped your workout that you SWORE you would do. Now you are left looking at yourself in the mirror, beating yourself up because you are bloated and your pants feel too tight. You might as well just give up on trying to live a healthy lifestyle because you always seem to fail at it. Right?
What you need to do is: Find the Pretty!!!
What exactly is the “Pretty?” It is a quality that you find about yourself or within yourself that trumps all the negative self-talk you seem to toss your way. It is the action we do or the words we speak to ourselves when we aren’t feeling confident and need a pick-me-up.
Take the above scenario. So, you might have lost self -control at the luncheon yesterday. Yes, you are bloated from the food and your pants feel too tight. Right now, at this very moment there is nothing you can do to make your pants feel looser. There is no magic wand you can wave to undo the many pieces of pizza you consumed. What you CAN do is find something about yourself that you like. Replace your negative thoughts with a pretty thought.
Smile in the mirror. What do you see? A girl with a beautiful complexion? Maybe someone with a perfectly white, light up your day kind of smile? Maybe you have eyes that sparkle when you talk . It can be as simple as having a good hair day! Whatever it is, find it and focus on that instead. Truly, it is quite simple yet something so many of us struggle with.
Having trouble finding a physical trait that you define as pretty? No biggie. Find the pretty in a healthy breakfast. A run around the block. Go out of your way to do something kind for someone…just because. There is all kinds of pretty in our actions. Whatever it is that makes you feel good about yourself, THAT is the pretty!
My whole point in writing this is to help you see(and to remind myself) that we all have bad days. Weeks. Months. Years. During these times, we can be overly critical of ourselves. What I have learned however, is that speaking badly about oneself has never made one love themselves more. More often than not, it has the opposite effect. It puts you in a dark hole that is hard to crawl out of. If you think you aren’t worthy of a healthy lifestyle or good relationship or better job(insert your own issue in here) then why would you strive to make it happen? However, once you learn to respect and believe in yourself, you will gain the self confidence that will allow you to conquer just about anything you set your mind to.
The next time you think about hating on yourself, decide to love yourself instead. It doesn’t mean you should ignore the issues in your life that need attention. Absolutely, we need to be responsible for our actions and shouldn’t just overlook the parts of our lives that require change. However, we can focus on making the changes in a positive way. In a way that makes us feel good about who we are.
Below are just some examples of how you can start to find the pretty!!
- Positive self affirmations. Look in the mirror each morning and say something positive to the reflection. It doesn’t have to be something physical. It can be ANYTHING. But do it. Always. Every morning!
- Go for a pedicure. If you are lacking funds, grab a new nail polish($3.00!!) and pretty up your nails.
- Soak in a hot bath with lavender. It is amazing how much this can calm you. Shave your legs and lather on your favorite scented lotion. Who doesn’t feel pretty after taking care of themselves!
- Buy a new outfit and ignore what size the tag has listed on it. Buy it because it looks good on you, not because it tells you what size you are or aren’t.
- Start your morning as a healthy person. Treat yourself to an egg white omelet with your favorite veggies mixed in. This will set you up for good eating habits the rest of the day.
- End your day with a healthy dinner. A crisp salad topped with grilled chicken breast and a light dressing will leave you feeling light and healthy. Screw the pizza you had at lunch, it is never too late to start over.
- Schedule that vacation day (or week) at work. If you are rundown and burnt out, you aren’t doing yourself or your company any good. I promise, they will survive without you.
- Plan a date night with your partner. Switch nights with a friend or ask a family member to watch the kids if you cannot afford to pay a sitter. You can even put the kids to bed and light some candles over a nice home-cooked meal. Take-out works, too!
- Exercise. Go for a run or walk, unwind with some yoga or head to the gym. How can you not feel pretty when you are working at improving your physical health?!
- Grab a coffee with a friend. Make sure she/he is a positive influence, someone who will build you up and not tear you down.
- Get affectionate with your husband or significant other. Having loving arms wrapped around you can certainly make you feel like the prettiest girl on the planet. And you are…in their eyes. If you aren’t, it might be time to re-think your relationship. Don’t you dare let anyone take your pretty from you!!
- Stop judging . If you have ever had someone judge you based on your looks or body you know how awful and humiliating that can be. Don’t take away the pretty from someone else, either!! Be kind to yourself and be kind to others!
Let’s face it, we have all had our “bad” days and the majority if not all of us will have many more in the future. We are human, it happens. We have our ups and we have our downs but the key is not allowing yourself to stay in that place because it is harmful and unproductive to the person you are meant to be!!
You are beautiful my friends….we all are!!!!
Tell me, how do YOU find the Pretty?